on being bored
| boredom, ennui, tedium | ||||
| | the feeling of being bored by something tedious | |||
| Category Tree: | ||||
www.wordreference.com
Boredom kills sanity. Even its definition sounds ironic, 'bored by something tedious'. If there is even something tedious in boredom, what could it be? Link boredom with idling. days without work, without study and worst of all, without purpose. Quote from the book, Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow by Jerome K. Jerome, 'it is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do. Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen.' Indeed, one would take most pleasure in idling in midst of a busy day, like a teabreak at work or tv time during studying. Yet when you have time of your hands like you have dust settling on your furniture, idling can well lose its meaning. The art of idling isn't easy to master when you aren't one who takes pleasure in little things like watching the clock ticking away? I don't really enjoy teabreaks at work but I do enjoy doing things when I am not supposed to... like snacking on chocolates when I am sick, or chatting away when I am supposed to be out to study. The human tendancy to idle is huge. Perhaps the day you found yourself idling is when you find a day is more than 24 hours.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home