21 September 2007

big girls don't cry

big girls don't cry.

women or girls, we have that little girl in us. that little girl trying to grow up.

the little girl who throws tantrums. kicks up a fuss. gets jealous.

the little girl who hides herself in a corner to cry her heart out.

with every right to cry, just like a little girl.


everyone tells us that we have grown up.

we have to be sensible. be responsible.

no more crying.

that we gotta learn to pick ourselves up when we fall.

that we gotta learn to walk and stand up on our own.

that it's time to move on.


we all learn to put up a strong front even though our heart is bleeding.

we say we can do it. like all big girls now. like a woman, and sometimes like a man.


and when it's late at night, we ran to that tiny little corner in our room.

back to our little girl selves.

letting tears fall like noone else's business.

sobbing like a girl who has lost her precious toy.

wanting to hear all those tiny words of comfort said to a little girl who cries.

that it's alright. it'll be okay.

that it's okay to cry.


that little girl haunts us like a shadow, a phantom which appears only at night when there's noone watching. we let it out.


and when the sun rises the next day, the little girl disappears.

gone so suddenly.

like the way it came.


"you are still up so late at night... your little girl refuses to sleep?"

"I know. sometimes, she creeps out in the day too, doesn't she?"
"I shooed mine to sleep... no creeping out. not tonight."


Special dedication to all big girls:
we'll grow up, we know. slowly but surely. we don't know how long it'll take.

maybe 10 years or all our lives.
with that tiny little girl living in us, we try.

Big Girls Don't Cry - Fergie

I hope you know, I hope you know
That this has nothing to do with you
It's personal,
Myself and I
We've got some straightenin' out to do
And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket
But Ive got to get a move on with my life
Its time to be a big girl now
And big girls don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry

The path that I'm walking
I must go alone
I must take the baby steps until I'm full grown
Fairytales don't always have a happy ending, do they
And I foresee the dark ahead if I stay...

But its time for me to go home

Its getting late, dark outside
I need to be with myself and center, clarity
Peace, Serenity ...


2 Comments:

Blogger juliex wrote...

The same song that caught our ears..

We might be listening to it with different thoughts in mind, but we still feel it for the same reason.

The transition is hard, confusing and lonely at times.

And we underestimate the power of simple words sometimes.

Like...

It's okay.

It's okay to cry.

It's okay to fall.

It's okay to make mistakes.

It's okay to not be that strong.

Long as we find the strength to stand up.

Find the strength to move on.

With love and faith and hope, we will.

And the little girls in us, they 'll grow strong.

12:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

This little girl is little yet powerful because she can haunt us even in the day, and, perhaps, make our lives topsy turvy!

To me, very often or sometimes, the little girl becomes too agitated when she encounter things that became a bombshell. It exploded and all the 'debris' provoke her.

Interestingly, as we grow up every single day, her desire to control us becomes stronger. But i found things that can suppress her not totally but lessen the torment. The small little actions and simple words of comfort.

"Three billion people on the face of the earth go to bed hungry every night, but four billion people go to bed every night hungry for a simple word of encouragement. " -Cavett Robert

She will live with us forever.
Forever so little yet significant...

11:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home