11 November 2006

What is your favourite childhood fairytale?

... a question I have not asked myself for a very long time. Perhaps growing up drowned the tiny details of our childhood, so much so that we have become numbed; immuned to the everyday life and failing to question ourselves on the simpler but perhaps more important questions in life. Are we happy? What do we want?

As I re-examined the question, I realised it's not that I do not know the answers but I have forgotten them. My favourite fairytale is not Beauty & the Beast, not Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and it occurred to me that it is something other than the good old Cinderella... the beautiful tale of Little Mermaid!

I remember my fairy tale stories... the colourful books of Red Riding Hood, Snow White as birthday presents from my pre-school teachers. And that two other green marine covers of the Little Mermaid given by my mum and aunt. It was a tale we all read about... Mermaid's love for the Prince and how she exchanged her voice to become human yet was tricked by the evil sea witch's plot to break up the pair. But as all fairy tales end, it was a happily ever after. I grew up with the tale, from the books, Disney animation to acting in my pre-school play as a small little star fish in that colourful world of sea. Probably that is why the fairy tale stands out the most in my memory.

Fairy tales are little girl fantasies but how real are our fantasies?

That silent desire and wish to meet Prince Charming, obtain true love and a happily ever after - just like all fairy tales. Though modern films have certainly evolved from the era of fairy tales, time and time again, besides the well-known stories of Shakespeare's, there are Titanic, The Lake House,and more recently, Korean dramas depicting the romance of Prince nd Princess.

So, fairy tales still exist today in another form and the reason for its continuation is that there are people who still believe in them. Reality and past experiences may be harsh but we never gave up searching, hoping all our lives. It is something that applies to all aspects of life; love and ideals.

Remember your childhood ambition? As people grew up, they have second thoughts and gave up their childhood dreams - it may appear less realistic or impossible to achieve. Yet I do still believe that is the most real dream one ever wanted to achieve in his/her life. How many of us is actually courageous enough to follow our childhood instincts? It is a reflection of something so true and deep inside us. As a child, we have not learned to understand complexities of the world but we already possess the most basic emotions in life - sadness and happiness. We cry when we can't get what we want and we smile when we get what we want. Isn't that the most meaningful and what matters in life?

Find back the child in you.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger juliex wrote...

Hey girl Im totally in love with Princess Hour!!! Gosh I LOVE it so much. I want the Alfred bear!! I think people love fairy tales because in fairy tales, the good gets rewarded and the bad gets punished, and most importantly... there is love. It is probably the best kind of story to teach lil kids! But at the same time, I feel it is weird that people actually educate children about love so early in life(doesnt seem like what adults normally do does it?), and children actually love the concept of love even before they could fully understand what it is. Isnt it amazing? Hee.. I dunno if I am making sense to u :p Hope I am :)

12:08 am  
Blogger DaYNe wrote...

hah... i tink my fav fairytale is Ugly duckling.. i've alwaes feel rather upset about looking abit different from others.. i alwaes look tomboyish, n fat since young n wasnt popular. Well i reallie like n grow up to realise that everyone is a swan in his/her own way. While not everyone like u, but at least having some frens ard and feel companied is sooo nice....

1:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Hey..finally a comment..haha! Hmm, personally I dun hv any fav fairytales..cuz i like all of them! How I wish our lives can be just like what's in the fairytales. It is practically like living in a world of perfection, where the good are rewarded and the bad get their deserving punishments; prince and princess live happily ever after and the list goes on. I tink the reason why we like fairytales is because they usually have nice and predictable endings. So nicely and rightfully ended that I tink only lil' children and a handful of grown-ups really trust the possibility of fairytales in reality. I tink why we like them is because they are unattainable and hard to achieve in reality. Haha, I love fairytales but sadly, I do not believe in their occurrence. Life is with imperfection. U get some, u'll lose some. Hee..pessimistic am I?

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home